Monday, January 7, 2008

Carved (8)

*

This is the back of one of a pair of carved "lion" chairs we now have. One of the chairs is a rocking chair, the other is not. The front ends of the arms, where your hands would rest, are also carved lions' heads, with their mouths open and roaring.

Dan remembers these chairs as a little tyke, but they were old even then - not sure how old. Both of them have loose joints that need work, but we're not sure how to do that without destroying their value as antiques. (Where are those Keno twins from Antiques Roadshow when you need them?)

8 comments:

Dogeared said...

How cool! I love seeing these artifacts and trinkets people have!

Anonymous said...

Amazing chair!! If you ever find out any more history on them I would love to hear it! Maybe when Antique Roadshow comes to your town?

GR

Linda Judd said...

Yes, I'd like to know, too. From the looks of them, they were hand carved - maybe part of the Folk Art movement? I don't know.

Antiques Roadshow did come to Albuquerque once, but it was before we moved here. Maybe they're due for another visit!

Lisa B said...

Lovely chairs and carving :0)

Hibe said...

Beautiful grain in the panel. Is the panel laminated? Some great chairs.

Linda Judd said...

Gary, no, the panel does not seem to be laminated. The entire back of the chair appears to be carved out of solid wood, but the back, itself, is thin - only an inch or a little more thick. The chairs are actually somewhat delicate.

I really think someone made them "at home," and that they were not made commercially. But . . . what do I know?! :-)

Hibe said...

It appears to be made of flame maple. Now that I looked at it closer I can see where the two boards were glued together. So it wouldn't be veneer. I would guess that they are quite valuable, but don't take my word. I'll keep my eye out for the Kenos on my travels around Philadelphia and send them your way when I see them...

Linda Judd said...

Yes, Gary, you do that! ;-)